The Maasvlakte faces an expanding port of Rotterdam. This also means an increase in the number of trucks heading to Maasvlakte, resulting in poorer air quality.
Everyone wants cleaner air and the economy to grow at the same time. Measures have been taken to afford these two important issues the space to develop. These measures relate, among others, to traffic in Maasvlakte.
Specific access requirements apply to trucks at Rotterdam Maasvlakte:
- Compulsory registration for all trucks in Maasvlakte.
- The Maasvlakte is now only accessible to diesel trucks heavier than 3.5 tonnes if:
- They are fitted with a Euro VI engine or if they are not older than seven years and were registered before 1 January 2013 (initial admission date to the EU);
- these are subject to an exemption;
- they are registered as 'special vehicles' and are not older than 13 years.
Please note! The exemption must be in the driver's possession before the vehicle accesses Maasvlakte.
You can consult the rules for registration and eligibility for a day or long-term exemption on the related pages.
Why is there a Traffic Decree for Maasvlakte?
Does the Municipality of Rotterdam City also take other measures?
In addition to the 'Maasvlakte 2 Air Quality Agreement' (pdf) Rotterdam is working on other measures. All for better air quality in the port, city and region. The spearheads of our approach are:
- encouraging cleaner fuels and cleaner transport for both freight traffic on the road as well as shipping
- cleaner industry
- reducing the number of polluting car kilometres.
For example, companies in Maasvlakte use the best available techniques to reduce emissions. In the city centre an environmental zone has also applied to the most polluting lorries for quite some time.
What are the access requirements?
The Maasvlakte is now only accessible to diesel trucks heavier than 3.5 tonnes if:
- They are fitted with an Euro VI engine or if they are not older than seven years and were registered before 1 January 2013 (initial admission date to the EU);
- They possess a day or long-term exemption
- They are registered as a 'special vehicle' and are not older than 13 years (initial admission date to the EU)
Compulsory registration for all trucks that access Maasvlakte.
Why are these access requirements necessary?
The access requirements are part of the Maasvlakte Air Quality Agreement . The agreement was signed in 2008 by
- the Municipality of Rotterdam
- Port of Rotterdam
- the then Ministry of Housing, Spatial Planning and the Environment
- Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management, now the Ministry Infrastructure and the Environment
This agreement is needed to ensure that use of Maasvlakte II does not result in the further deterioration of the air quality in places in the Rijnmond area where air quality standards are exceeded. Other measures are:
- clean engines for inland navigation
- speed reduction for inland navigation
- the installation of screens along the A4 and A15
What area falls under Maasvlakte?
How is monitoring and enforcement organised?
The Municipality of Rotterdam is responsible for enforcing the Traffic Decree and the registration obligation. Enforcement is based on camera surveillance with automated licence plate recognition and by carrying out physical inspections. Offenders are issued with an immediate, fully automatic fine by the Central Judicial collection agency CJIB. Fines for not registering are collected throughout Europe by a specialist collection agency. It is therefore important that trucks with a non-Dutch licence plate register with the Municipality of Rotterdam to request exemptions.
Is registration compulsory?
All trucks that access Maasvlakte, must be registered with the Municipality of Rotterdam. For Dutch licence plates, Rotterdam makes use of RDW vehicle registrations. Trucks with a foreign licence plate are required to register with the Municipality of Rotterdam. You can do it via the Maasvlakte Truck Registration page. Registration is free and only has to be done once.
Do I have to create an account or use DigiD?
Dutch licence plates: Dutch companies can log in with 'eHerkenning'. The Municipality of Rotterdam uses security installations in this process 1. See www.eherkenning.nl for more information about eHerkenning. Dutch citizens use DigiD.
Foreign licence plates: Foreign companies and citizens must first create an account with the Municipality of Rotterdam.
What information is needed to create a foreign account?
What information is needed to apply for a day exemption?
A day exemption can only be requested if the vehicle for which you need an exemption has been registered. No special documents are then required for the exemption application.
To pay for your application, you need a valid credit card or debit card with iDEAL. An exemption application can be submitted a maximum of twelve times per calendar year per licence plate.
What information is needed to apply for a long-term exemption?
If specific economic circumstances apply, you can request a long-term exemption. On the basis of ‘Economic circumstances’ you must include the following:
- contract which shows that the work to the Maasvlakte has been accepted before November 5th 2015
- an overview of journeys to Maasvlakte
- an overview of the total number of trucks in your fleet
- an overview of the total number of trucks in your fleet that meet the access requirements
- your company's last three financial annual reports. A full financial annual report including balance sheet, profit and loss account and related explanatory notes)
How does the process for registering and applying for an exemption work?
Is the exemption application sufficient or must the driver have the exemption in his or her possession?
What procedures and deadlines apply?
- Accounts are immediately ready for use. Vehicle registrations are provisionally approved automatically and finally approved after verification.
- Applications for day exemptions are processed automatically after payment and, as a rule, approved automatically.
- Cases that rely on the hardship clause for a long-term exemption are subject to individual assessment. This lasts a maximum of eight weeks.
- If your application process for a long-term exemption is ongoing, this does not grant you right of access.
- The Municipality of Rotterdam will keep you informed about each step of the process via e-mail. It is therefore important that you have a valid, usable e-mail address.
- You can also monitor the progress of your application in your account.
What does registration and an exemption application cost?
The administration fees differ for each process. You can find the exact costs on this page.
Administration fees are paid for processing the application. Fees are non-refundable in the event of a refusal.
Am I eligible for an exemption?
If your truck may no longer access the EuroVI-zone Maasvlakte, you can apply for the following exemptions:
- Day exemptions: All trucks are entitled to 12 day exemptions a year. There are no further requirements with regard to the Euro class or age of the vehicle.
- Long term exemptions: Economic circumstances; this option is only possible when the starting date of the exemption is asked for 2019. It’s not possible to apply for a long-term exemption with a requested starting date after 2019.
- Hardship clause: Do you believe the rules of the Traffic Decree affect you disproportionately harshly? You may be eligible for a long-term exemption on the basis of the hardship clause (Article 5). Therefore it’s required that you can proof (contract or otherwise) that the work to the Maasvlakte has been accepted before November 5th 2015. Furthermore you’ll have to motivate why this Decree effects you disproportional.
Are there other exemptions to the traffic decree?
The traffic decree has the following exemptions wherefore no additional payment is required:
- Special vehicles, such as gulley emptiers or tow trucks as well as exceptional transport, receive exemptions, provided that these vehicles are not older than 13 years. Is your truck a special vehicle? You can apply to the Municipality of Rotterdam for this status during the registration of your vehicle.
- Trucks that are used by or on behalf of a government agency for the performance of a statutory and/or government task, are eligible for an exemption. When submitting the application for exemption, the owner of the lorry must upload a digital copy of the contract. Indicating that the lorry is eligible for exemption. Exemption will apply for the duration of the contract. The contract must have been entered into prior to 5 November 2015.
- The access rules for the Maasvlakte are waived for campers registered as trucks. An exemption is granted based on photos and a description of the vehicle. These must show that this meets the guidelines as defined in Article 7 of the Decree. If registration with RDW and on www.milieuzones.nl is not possible, a specific request can be submitted via: email@example.com.
- Trucks equipped with a green professional vehicle registration are automatically exempt. In this case you do not need to apply for an exemption.
I get an error message, what should I do?
If you get an error message you can first delete the cookies and/or relaunch your browser or apply again. For persistent problems, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. First make a print screen of the error with a time display and send it with your mail.
Can I stay logged in indefinitely?
What documents do I need to send for an exemption?
What formats can I use to send the documents?
Problems with Foreign Accounts?
Internet traffic is secured. To create a Foreign Account you need a mobile number to receive text messages with authentication codes. You have to use the code immediately and it is only valid once. For each new log-in to your account you will receive a new code via text message.
Please note: do not close your windows screen until you have used the code.
- The first time your account must be activated. You will receive an e-mail with an activation link. The activation link is valid for a limited amount of time.
- You do not receive a text message. Contact email@example.com.
- You do not receive an activation link. Check your spam box and contact us if you can't find the e-mail with the link.
- You should receive the text message and the activation link within a maximum of one to three minutes.