Skip to content

Reading time: 3 min

First registration in the Netherlands

Are you staying in the Netherlands for longer than 4 months and you don't have a Citizen Service Number (BSN) yet? Make sure you make an appointment to register in person in the city you will be living in.

First answer a few questions to find out whether you need to register. If so, you will see a link to a page with more information about the documents you need. You can then make an appointment online for your registration at the desk.

Check if registration is needed

For whom

  • You are coming from abroad and staying in the Netherlands for at least 4 of the 6 months.
  • You have not been registered before
    you were registered before 1994 and you are now returning to live in the Netherlands.

Residence permit

Do you have the nationality of a country outside the European Union? Then you must first apply for a residence permit at the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND). Link opens an external page.
You cannot register until you have a residence permit or you have a running application for one.


Have you moved back to the Netherlands from abroad? Or have you been deregistered? Then you must re-register.
In this case, you make an appointment for resettlement.


Registration is free of charge.

Please note:
The municipality of Rotterdam can impose an administrative fine if you deliberately provide incorrect information for the BRP. This fine is an incentive to make sure that everyone registers properly and passes on correct information in good time.

Date of registration

This depends on your personal situation and the documents required. Usually, your registration will be processed within 4 weeks after you have submitted all the documents. You will be informed in writing.

It is also important that you deregister with the municipality when you leave the Netherlands.


Do you want to read all the content on this site in the language you prefer? Use the Translate button in the upper-right of the menu bar.

If you have questions, call the municipal service number 14 010. When you call from abroad, call +31 10 267 16 25.