Spring naar het artikel

Are you staying in Rotterdam for longer than four months? When you arrive from abroad, you have to apply for registration in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) within five days.

You have to register yourself and your family (if applicable) at the Civil Affairs Department at Town Hall. Adults and minors must apply in person. You can make an appointment to visit Town Hall by calling (010) 267 16 25. Ask for an appointment at Town Hall for registration from abroad. 

The documents to be filled out can be found below. Please make sure you fill in these forms in advance. After registering yourself you will also be provided with a Citizen Service Number (BSN). You need this number when you open a bank account or take out health insurance.

When you register, please bring the following documents:

  • valid passport or valid identity card and (if applicable) those of your child or children
  • one completely filled-in application form per person or it can be obtained at Town Hall). Please fill out this form in advance. You can download the form below this text.
  • original birth certificate of all those to be registered (translated in English or Dutch and legalised or with apostille)
    And if applicable: marriage certificate(s) translated and legalised or with apostille, divorce decree(s) or death certificate(s) translated and legalised or with apostille.
    You can find more information on the website of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs about legalisation and apostille.   
  • tenancy agreement, if applicable: declaration by main occupant, rental contract or sales contract
  • for non-EU citizens: first you have to make an appointment with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) to apply for a residence permit. After you have obtained the residence permit, you can make an appointment to register at Town Hall.

Registration is free of charge. If you are a highly skilled migrant ('kennismigrant') your employer will arrange this for you, but in other cases you must do so yourself. It is also important that you deregister with the municipality when you leave the Netherlands.

Please note! The municipality of Rotterdam can impose an administrative fine if you deliberately provide incorrect information for the BRP. This fine is an incentive to make sure that everyone registers properly and passes on correct information in good time.
More information can be found on the page administrative fine brp.

Civil Affairs Department (Publiekszaken)

If your civil status or your family situation changes, for instance in case of birth, death, marriage or divorce, you must notify the Civil Affairs Department in your municipality or district. The municipality records in the Civil Registry all data relating to important changes in personal circumstances, such as a birth, marriage and death. In these cases, official certificates are drawn up. Sometimes it is necessary to provide a copy or extract of such a certificate in your country of origin, e.g. if you have married or had a child in the Netherlands. A copy contains all the particulars listed on the certificate; an extract only contains a selection from these particulars.