Attending school when you recently arrived in The Netherlands. Your child recently came to the Netherlands, but does not speak (or hardly speaks) any Dutch (yet). Despite this, your child must attend school.
In Rotterdam, a few classes at 'regular' schools are equipped to take in children who have not been in the Netherlands for long.
In primary education these transition classes are called First Intake Classes (Eerste Opvang). In secondary education these classes are called International Transition Classes (Internationale schakelklassen, ISK).
Your child will follow an intense language programme in the ISK class. When your child speaks and writes Dutch sufficiently, he or she will be transferred to a 'regular' class in primary or secondary education.
Primary education (children from the age of 6 to 12)
Rotterdam has 13 primary schools that offer a First Intake transition class. You can register your child at the primary school with a First Intake transition class closest to where you live. The school will check to see if they have a spot in the class.
The primary school with a First Intake transition class
Name, Address, Telephone number, Area
- OBS de Kameleon, BOOR, Carnissedreef 2-4 (3083 ZG), 010 480 85 68, Charlois
- Over de Slinge, BOOR, Krabbendijksestraat 243-254 (3086 LR), 010 480 35 52, Charlois
- De Catamaran, BOOR, Catullusweg 298 (3076 KH), 010 291 67 70, IJsselmonde
- De Notenkraker, BOOR, Othelloweg 2 (3190 AE), 010 295 72 73, Hoogvliet
- OBS Dakpark, BOOR, Catharina Beersmanstraat 80 (3025 EJ), 010 476 01 14, Delfshaven
- OBS Kasteel Spangen, BOOR, Bilderdijkstraat 322 (3027 SN), 010 415 49 09, Delfshaven
- Emmausschool, RVKO, Tidemanstraat 59 (3022 SE), 010 425 83 12, Delfshaven
- Stephanus, RVKO, Asserweg 360 (3052 AJ), 010 418 47 27, Hillegersberg-Schiebroek
- Rozenhorst, RVKO, Jan Tooropstraat 1-3-5 (3181 HE), 0181 212 565, Rozenburg
- Pniëlschool, PCBO, Clingendaal 2 (3075 LN), 010 484 46 88, Feijenoord
- CBS de Sleutel, PCBO, Putseplein 18 (3073 HT), 010 484 46 91, Feijenoord
- Da Costa, PCBO, Johannes Brandstraat 3-7 (3072 BD), 010 484 35 34, Feijenoord
- Talmaschool, K&O, Benthuizerstraat 101 (3035 CN), 010 413 66 76, Kralingen;
- Talmaschool, Nieuwe Ommoordseweg 99 (3068 BS), 010 4215313, Prins Alexander.
Temporary education facilities (TEF)
- De Gaffel, RVKO & BOOR, Toni Koopmanplein 114, 3014 RC, 010 311 70 01, Centrum
- Language class de Goede Herder, PCOHS, Kastanjeplein 6, 3053 CD, 010 41 89 579, Hillegersberg-Schiebroek.
Secondary education in the Netherlands differentiates between various levels of education. Your child will be tested to establish the level at which he or she can start. Employees Koers VO will test your child, in collaboration with the secondary education system in Rotterdam. The test will include an intelligence test and a match test. You will then be issued with a recommendation for your child. After testing you will be referred to one of the five schools with an International Transition Class. You can contact Koers VO for information on secondary education and regional training centres (ROCs) and to register your child.
The 'compulsory education department' of the municipality of Rotterdam can be reached for questions on telephone number 010 498 42 58 or by e-mail: email@example.com.
- Rotterdam Designcollege, Westzeedijk 497, Rotterdam - vmbo bbl/kbl/gl (age 16+)
- Rotterdam Designcollege, Beukelsdijk 145, Rotterdam - vmbo bbl/kbl/gl (age12-15)
- Wolfert College, Walenburgerweg 128, Rotterdam - vmbo tl, havo en vwo
- RVC De Hef, Slaghekstraat 221, Rotterdam - vmbo bbl/kbl/gl/tl
- Zuiderpark College, Montessoriweg 26, Rotterdam (ISK:Beumershoek 3, Rotterdam) - vmbo bbl/kbl/gl/tl
- Olympia College, Olympiaweg 395, Rotterdam - vmbo bbl/kbl
- OSG Hugo de Groot, Nachtegaalplein 53, Rotterdam - havo en vwo
- Focus Beroepsacademie, Dierensteinweg 4, Barendrecht
Capelle aan den IJssel:
- IJsselcollege, Wiekslag 3, Capelle a/d IJssel - PrO/ vmbo/mavo/havo/vwo
Young people who are 18+
For young people between the age of 18 and 23 who don't have a Dutch diploma, we would like to know if you have a 'basic qualification'. This means minimally mbo (intermediate vocational education) level 2, havo (higher general secondary education) or vwo (pre-university education).
You can provide us with this information by sending an e-mail to LeerrechtenOndersteuning@rotterdam.nl (please mention your surname, first name, date of birth and telephone number). We can help young people without a basic qualification by informing them about the Dutch school system and the possibilities they have concerning education.
When you don't know if your education level is 'basic qualification' or you have other questions, you can reach out to us: telephone number: 010 498 42 58, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on working days.