First registration in the Netherlands
Gepubliceerd op: 16-04-2018
Geprint op: 28-11-2022
Ga naar de hoofdinhoud

Are you staying in Rotterdam for longer than 4 months? Make an appointment for registration in the Municipal Personal Records.

By clicking the button 'Make an appointment', you enter a questionnaire to see which documents you need and which appointment you must make. At the end of the questionnaire you can make the right appointment. Per person you make a separate appointment.

Citizen Service Number (BSN)

After registering yourself you will be provided with a Citizen Service Number. You need this number when you open a bank account or take out health insurance.

Make sure that:

  • you bring all the required documents
  • everyone who needs to be registered is present in person
  • you cancel your appointment if you are unable to go

Are you moving to a home for which a housing permit (huisvestingsvergunning) is required? Make sure you make an appointment for first registration with housing permit.

Know what you rent

Are you going to rent a house? As a tenant, you are entitled to a well-maintained property for a fair price. Check on Know what you rent to know where you stand. This is a Dutch page with Google Translate option.

If you are a highly skilled migrant ('kennismigrant') your employer will arrange your registration. In other cases you must do so yourself. 

It is also important that you deregister with the municipality when you leave the Netherlands.

Please note: the municipality of Rotterdam can impose an administrative fine if you deliberately provide incorrect information for the BRP. This fine is an incentive to make sure that everyone registers properly and passes on correct information in good time.

Registration is free of charge.

Make sure you bring all required documents to the appointment. Please make sure that you have filled in the application form completely. Otherwise we cannot register you.

You need the following documents:

  • a fully completed application form. This form is available in English, French, German, Polish, Spanish and Dutch
  • a valid identification card*
  • newcomers from outside Europe: residence permit or written decision or an authorization for temporary residence (MVV sticker) in your passport
  • if applicable: original certificates from everyone that need to be registered (like a birth, marriage or divorce certificate)**

Depending on your living situation, you also need the following documents:

My living situation: You need these documents:
I rent an apartment or a house Rental contract or a tenancy agreement***
I'm living with a tenant who is the main occupant Declaration by the main occupant*** and a copy of his or her ID
  Tenancy agreement***
I'm living with the owner Declaration by the main occupant*** and a copy of his or her ID
I rent a room Rental contract or a tenancy agreement***

*A passport, ID-card, residence permit or W-document (in addition to your residence permit or W-document, take your passport with you, if possible).

** Certificates that have not been drawn up in Dutch or English must be translated by a sworn translator. It is possible that the certificates must have a legalization or apostille.

***These documents may not be older than 3 months. They must also be completely filled in and signed.

If you want to register from Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Saba or Sint Eustatius, you must bring a proof of deregistration.

This depends on your personal situation and the documents required. Usually, your registration will be processed within 4 weeks after you have submitted all the documents. You will be informed in writing.

  • anyone who was not previously registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database
  • anyone who was registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database before 1994 and is settling again
  • you come from abroad and stay in the Netherlands (in this case, the city of Rotterdam) for 4 months within a half year
  • foreigners can only enroll in the Municipal Personal Records Database Rotterdam if they have lawful residence in the Netherlands

Do you want to read all the content on this site in the language you prefer? Use the Translate button in the upper-right of the menu bar.

If you have questions, call the municipal service number 14 010. When you call from abroad, call +31 10 267 16 25.

Every person in the Netherlands has a personal registration number. It is called the Citizen Service Number ('Burgerservicenummer' or BSN). This number is issued to Dutch citizens along with their birth certificate.

You need the BSN in order to:

  • be permitted to work
  • open a bank account
  • make use of a care institution (or hospital)
  • apply for benefits

If you were not born in the Netherlands, you must apply for the number yourself.

How to obtain a BSN

When you come to live in the Netherlands and register with the Municipal Personal Records Database, you will automatically receive a Citizen Service Number. You need the following documents:

  • if you are from the EU or the EEA: a valid passport or identity card
  • in other cases: your visa, residence permit or work permit

Check the following webpage of the government for more information.

To invite friends and family use the IND Application form (pdf) proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation. This procedure is only for people who need a visa to be able to come to the Netherlands.

Fill in the application form and have your signature legalized by the municipality. In 2019 this will cost € 12,10. Make an appointment by calling our municipal service number 14 010

Check the IND website for more information.

There are 3 ways to do this:

  1. From abroad, call the municipal service number +31 10 267 16 25
  2. Call the municipal service number 14 010
  3. For making an appointment online, press the button 'Make an appointment'