importing household effects


When moving house to the Netherlands, you must comply with specific conditions concerning the importation of household effects or pets.



You must apply for a permit to import household effects tax-free if you are moving house from non EU-countries. This permit can be obtained from Customs. As the issue of such a permit may take some time, we recommend that you apply well before the time of your removal. Please note that if you do not possess such a permit, you will have to pay import duties.

The application documents for an exemption permit can be obtained from Click here for the application form for exemption removal goods.

Cats, dogs, birds and other pets are only allowed into the Netherlands with the correct proof of inoculation against rabies, issued by a veterinary surgeon. Information about importing pets is available from the Ministry of Agriculture, Nature Management and Fisheries, Department RVV, telephone (071) 408 30 00.
Dog owners are required to submit relevant information to Gemeentebelastingen Rotterdam (see Local taxes).

In many cases, import of exotic animals is forbidden. More information can be obtained from the CITES-department of the Ministry of Agriculture, Nature Management and Fisheries, telephone (078) 639 5340.

For more information
Rotterdam Customs
Laan op Zuid 45
3072 DB Rotterdam
P.O. Box 50966
3007 BJ Rotterdam
T 0800 - 0143 (only in Dutch)
F (010) 290 43 15 I

=> If you are moving within the European Union these restrictions do not apply.

Page sent successfully

Afbeelding voor het bijhouden van paginastatistieken